meのつもり

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Just because you pick people up in a cheap Italian restaurant, doesn't mean you can't be friends for life.

I have problems with meeting people. Is it lack of opportunity, or lack of inclination?
I can't help feeling that even if my social circle expanded rapidly, like, for example, the funnest people in the world came and partied in my house and demanded my friendship, I'd be the geek locked in the toilet eating all the pickles.

"Friends" I love. "Acquaintances" I could do without. I mean, look how difficult that word is to spell. That's got to tell you something. The kind of people who only call you when they want something. Like, "I need my hair cut but I'm all alone in a foreign country and I can't be arsed to speak the language. We've only met once, but will you waste 4 hours of your life coming with me?" "Sure! If you can tell me why I don't eat cucumbers, or 3 reasons why I love Harrison Ford but we can never marry.."

Or the kind of people who email you after a long seperation to bitch about your choice of (ex) boyfriend and then set out a list of demands, completely lacking in the essential "please" or "thank you" or even a "do this for me and I'll retract the above comment about your (ex) boyfriend. Trust me, I've met your ex('s) and you have waay more to be worried about. And no, I bloody won't.

On the other hand, people who you randomly meet in a cheap restaurant because you're intrigued by their goofy smile and who despite not knowing you give you an amazing day out (no touching) are the kind of people you need in your life.

That, and HLPs.
And people who love you for all the things you can't change.
People who think you're more fun than High School Baseball.
And people who make you want to make them smile forever.

4 Comments:

  • Really? you dont like cucumbers? damn it,,well,, to make up for it, I'll babysit your ghost for a few hours,,we had a blast last time,,what d'ya say?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM  

  • See, that cucumbers things is a closely guarded secret..but I still you reckon you could guess why.

    And stop babysitting my ghost! Whatever is is you're feeding him, he must like it. He hasn't been back here for ages. I miss the rants about socks..

    By Blogger me, at 9:11 PM  

  • Wow. Welcome back. I thought you gave up blogging for a little while there. Nice to see that you're still around!

    By Anonymous rick, at 11:47 PM  

  • Aw, thanks! Still around, just incredibly incredibly lazy..spending much too long at the beach, much like yourself - looking goood there rick!! ;)

    By Blogger me, at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home